FSSAI (Food Safety and Standard Authority of India) is an autonomous organisation formed under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. The FSSAI has been formed in 2006, under the Food Safety and Standard Act. The headquarters of the FSSAI is located in New Delhi. The FSSAI has its 6 regional offices situated in Kolkata, Delhi, Cochin, Chennai, Mumbai, and Guwahati.
The Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI) has authorised license for the following food products:
- Fruits and vegetables.
- Dairy products.
- Fats, oils etc.
- Meat and Fish products.
- Cereal products.
- Sweets and confectionery.
- Salt and spices.
- Staples foods like milk, flour, rice, salt etc.
- Canned and frozen food products and many more.
FSSAI license is very much compulsory for any food business operators before operating food business in any parts of India including Habra, West Bengal. The FSSAI is a 14- digit license or registration number.
The FSSAI license is made mandatory by the Indian government to assure that the food products must pass through quality checks instructed by the government.
Business fails to print license number on packages needs to bear heavy penalties. To apply for FSSAI, one should follow the rules made by state licensing authority. Then it shall be accompanied by a self-attested declaration. After that there will be through inspection and later license shall be issued after two months. Now, if any operator is applying for the renewal of the license, have to apply prior to 30days of the expiry date of the license.
There are 3 types of FSSAI License introduced by the Government of India:
- Basic FSSAI License: It is required for small business and start-ups that have an annual income of Rs. 12 lakhs.
- Central FSSAI License: This license is required for large business that have an annual income of more than Rs. 20 crores.
- State FSSAI License: This license is required for mid- sized business that have an annual income between Rs. 12-20 crores.
The FSSAI license in Habra, West Bengal is applicable for food packaging unit or storage unit, all types of food manufacture, any wholesale or online food business operator, by the retailers of food product, exporters as well as by the importers of the food product etc.
FSSAI license gives grants to the operators to carry their food business legally in Habra, West Bengal or in any other parts of India.