FSSAI Registration is used for Food safety and grant permission to any individual to carry on food business in any parts of India. To start any food business, one should register in FSSAI Portal and get the FSSAI license. The food license is specific to a particular location and also term bound.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), established in 2006, handles all the food related issues in various Ministries and Departments.
FSSAI License is mandatory for all the Food Business Operators. Though headquarters at New Delhi, FSSAI authority has six regional offices in Delhi, Kolkata, Guwahati, Chennai, Cochin, Mumbai. The following structures are incorporated under the act:
- Food Manufactures
- Online food sellers
- Hotel caterers
- Food packaging and cold storage units
- Wholesale food sellers.
The FSSAI License number is a 14-digit number. Business fails to print license numbers on packages needs to bear heavy penalties. If the homemade food business has an annual income of more than Rs. 12 lakhs, then one needs to have a basic FSSAI License Registration. If the homemade food business has an annual income of more than Rs. 20 crores then one needs to have a State FSSAI License. In case, if the homemade food business has an annual income of more than Rs. 20 crores then one needs to have the Central FSSAI License Registration.
The benefits of having the FSSAI food license in India are as follows:
- Awareness of the consumer: In this age, consumers have become aware of the food they are taking and moreover they are looking after the safety as well as purity of the products.
- FSSAI Logo: In order to prove that the product is of superior quality the FSSAI logo is used by the food business operators.
- Expansion of the business: After getting the FSSAI license done in India the food business operator can expand their business in other areas as well. Also, the FSSAI license can help one to expand their business by getting loans from the bank.
- Legal Benefits: Any food business operator willing to open up their business whether it is small or big should register themselves under the FSSAI registration and can easily open their business officially.
Some mandatory license needed for starting a homemade food business which may vary from state to state and they are as follows:
- Shop and Establishment Act License.
- FSSAI License from Food & Health Department.
- Trade License.
- Fire brigade.
- NOC from the society.