The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), established in 2006, handles all the food related issues in various Ministries and Departments. FSSAI License as well as Food Certificate are equal that guarantees the hygiene level, excellence and many others essentials factors that the customers can depend upon totally. FSSAI is an independent organization which is headed by a non – executive chairperson who is appointed by the Central Government. FSSAI’s head office is situated in Delhi.
FSSAI Registration is used for Food safety and grant permission to any individual to carry on food business in any parts of India. To start any food business, one should register in FSSAI Portal and get the FSSAI license. The food license is specific to a particular location and also term bound.
FSSAI License is required to sell food by the food business operator in India. Before starting any food business in India, it is very much compulsory to have the FSSAI License done. All the traders, manufacturers, grocery shops, restaurants, exporters and importers are eligible for obtaining a FSSAI License. FSSAI License is of two types and they are:
- Central FSSAI License.
- State FSSAI License.
Steps for acquiring the FSSAI License:
- To acquire the FSSAI License the FBO must apply for an application to the Licensing Authority.
- The application must be made in Form B.
- The application must be added with self- declaration, affidavit.
- The license is granted for a period of 1 to 5 years.
- The application fees get increased as the time period gets higher for which the license is acquired.
- Before 30 days of the expiration of the FSSAI License the FBO should renew the application.
FSSAI Registration is mandatory for all the food business operators who are involved in a small scale of food business in India. Any hawker, itinerant vendor, food distributer in any religious or social gathering events except a caterer, temporary stallholder must obtain a FSSAI Registration. Small scale food business or cottage or such other industries that are related to food business having an annual income of not more than Rs. 12lakhs need to obtain the FSSAI Registration.
Procedure required for obtaining the FSSAI Registration:
- One can have the registration done by submitting an application to the Food and Safety Department of India.
- In Form A the application must be submitted.
- The application either can be accepted or rejected by the department within 7 days from the date of receipt.
- The department will grant the registration certificate and issue a registration number if the application gets accepted.